The student news site of Corona del Mar High School

Trident

Trident

Trident

Talk To Us!

What is your favorite of going back-to-school?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Do you have news?

Something you want to write about? A club or activity on campus you want to highlight? Fill out the form here to submit your own articles.

Clash of the Classes Rally Recap

CdMHS Orchesis performs their segment of the rally. Photo courtesy of Tessa Hsu.

This year’s Clash of the Classes rally on Friday, March 22nd, was based on The Hunger Games, where districts nine (freshmen), ten (sophomores), eleven (juniors), and twelve (seniors) battled it out to see which class would dominate. Held by CDM ASB, the rally showcased performances by CdMHS’s Triads, Spirit Team, Pep Squad, Drumline, Girl’s Lacrosse, the Urinetown cast, and last but not least, Orchesis.

Triads kicked off the rally by performing Olivia Rodrigo’s “Can’t Catch Me Now,” from The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes. Triads singer and freshman Gianna Catinella’s participation gave her insight into the workings of a successful rally. Catinella explained that, “it was really fun just to see it all come together with the people actually in it and watching it.” Following Triads, CdM Spirit showed off their dance moves paired with a remix of the song “The Hanging Tree” from The Hunger Games.

CDM’s version of The Hunger Games featured its own “tributes,” including ASB class presidents Kiper Walz (freshmen), Will Chavez (sophomore), Will Oldakowski (junior) and Will Takara (senior), who led a competitive game of tug-of-war. The seniors went against the freshmen, and sophomores went against the juniors. In the first round, the juniors and freshmen were eliminated, leaving the seniors and sophomores to battle it out. After a very close match, the seniors won, racking up their points. “I think that the tug-of-war was an unfair match-up, because of the age difference, so the seniors defeated the freshmen with ease,” explains freshman Raine Han-Bergeron. After the heated game of tug-of-war, Drumline lit up the room with their beats and bright lights, and Girl’s Lacrosse made an appearance, performing to a series of pop songs while dressed in all black.

But, the games were not over yet, as Senior Class President Will Takara and Freshmen Class President Kiper Walz went head to head in a puzzle contest, both ready to dominate. Whoever pieced together The Hunger Games logo first would be the winner. At first, the game seemed like an easy win for Walz, but all of a sudden, Takara made his moves and took the lead. Eventually, Takara won, bringing home another win for his fellow seniors or “district twelve”.

Switching gears to celebrate the opening night for Urinetown, the cast gave the audience a taste of what was to come if they went to see the show. Then back to The Hunger Games theme was Orchesis, all dressed up as tributes, making an impressive last performance of the day. Orchesis member Amelia Fee says that performing is, “really fun and exciting, and it gives [performers] a really big adrenaline boost.”

This year’s Clash of the Classes was a fun showdown of the classes, competing to win CDM’s version of The Hunger Games. Ultimately, the seniors prevailed.