The student news site of Corona del Mar High School

Trident

Trident

Trident

Talk To Us!

What is your favorite of going back-to-school?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Do you have news?

Something you want to write about? A club or activity on campus you want to highlight? Fill out the form here to submit your own articles.

A Faster Ride: New Lanes in Orange County

Freeway. Photo courtesy of Los Angeles Times.

Following a lengthy six years of construction, on Friday, December 1st, the long-awaited express lanes officially opened up on the San Diego 405 Freeway. Stretching from Costa Mesa to southern Los Angeles County, the roads have the potential to make a major impact in the Orange County area. One major reason behind the project was the intense traffic on the roads. The 370,000 vehicles that travel this freeway every day make it one of the busiest in the world. Johann Martin, a resident of Costa Mesa for nearly twenty years, talked about how, “The effects of this project will be felt by many of the residents in Orange County, especially workers such as myself who have to make daily commutes on the highway. On my way to work today, it was nice to see the extra lane added.” Between State Route 73 and the San Gabriel 605 Freeway, one new lane was added for each direction of the 405 totaling a grand sum of 2.16 billion dollars. The project, which began construction back in 2018, included a variety of upgrades such as 18 renovated bridges and streets. In addition, new bike lanes, sidewalks, and ramps were added. The express lanes will require a FasTrak transponder; however, during hours not considered “traffic time,” vehicles with two or more members will be able to freely use the new lanes. “When my family and I are driving on the highway going to Los Angeles to visit family, the 405 gets extremely chaotic. I am glad to see this new development, and hopeful to see less traffic the next time on the highway,” noted Carter Goren, a 10th-grade student at Corona del Mar High School. Martin also added, “As someone who loves to go outdoors, I plan on trying out some of the renovated bike lanes, as previously many of them were not well maintained.” The potential benefits of this project will be seen over the coming months; hopefully, the convenience that it offers will help make the upcoming holiday season just a little less stressful for travelers.

Information contained in this article is from:

Patch “405 Freeway Express Lanes Open in OC: What to Know”

Orange County Register “405 Express Lanes Set to Open, Last Major Freeway Project in OC Finishes”