The student news site of Corona del Mar High School

Trident

Trident

Trident

Irvine High School’s Production of Almost, Maine: A Cappies Review 

Almost%2C+Maine+playbill+and+live+on-stage+images.+Photos+courtesy+of+%40ihsdramadpt+on+Instagram%2C+edited+on+PicsArt+
Almost, Maine playbill and live on-stage images. Photos courtesy of @ihsdramadpt on Instagram, edited on PicsArt

Almost to Irvine High School’s production of Almost, Maine? Don’t forget to bring your bags of love with you! 

Almost, Maine styles itself in a rom-com-esque fashion as it reveals a series of short vignettes following nine couples of different troped backgrounds. Irvine enraptured audiences by executing the movie-ish feel of Almost, Maine in a way that tells the confined small-town romances there will be time for them to sort out their love struggles.

A few friends-to-lovers romances, a couple “the one that got away” couples, and some situationships all develop under Maine’s Aurora Borealis. In Maine, time must move slower because these pairs must find their love for one another over hours, but to audience-goers in California love is found within mere minutes. 

Steve, an afraid-of-love type of guy, finds himself getting physically hit by love itself via an ironing board. Maddox Kreil plays this fear-not, fearsome guy in such a captivating way that all laughs and all eyes remain on him. 

Almost, Maine characters are what await you at Irvine High School. In this story, no love is greater than another and no character is greater than another. 

With hearts on the costumes of each actor, twinkling sounds after each revelation or connection, and an aura of warm light surrounding the spotlight, Almost Maine’s technical team accentuates the basis of love in visual form. Props must go to the props team of Irvine High School’s performing arts department for their ability to bleed the decor into the scenes, matching characters with what they would belong to: drink coolers, paintings, and of course bags of love. The running crew beats in tune with the acting elements of Almost, Maine in a way that doesn’t leave any broken hearts or broken set pieces on the stage. 

Irvine High School’s retelling of Almost, Maine is filled with enchanting expressions of love and the trials and tribulations that come with it!