Start of Fall Sports

Photo of CdM football field. Photo courtesy of Zoe Teets.

Zoe Teets and Maria Dahl

Students are starting to settle into the new school year, and fall sports have already begun competing in their games. Sports such as cross country, girl’s tennis, flag football, girl’s volleyball, and more have been putting in all their effort in practice, as well as their games. Players and coaches are working hard and are excited to see what this season has in store for them.

Cross country has just kicked off the start of their season at the Laguna Hills Cross Country Invitational. Junior Claire Smith, a new addition to the team, said that, “the season so far for cross country has been hard work but fun! I started running with the team this summer and I feel like I’ve made many good friends on the team.”  Looking towards the remainder of the 2022 season, she stated that, “I just had my first meet on Saturday and I hope to progressively get faster times throughout the season!” With both the senior and freshman girls placing, as well as the senior and sophomore boys, it appears like the cross country team is going to have a strong season this year.

Girl’s tennis is also off to a great start, with the junior varsity team “winning all of their matches so far.” Eden Clark, a sophomore on the team is proud to be on “such a fun team with amazing teammates and coaches.” She is hopeful for the season’s outcome and “excited for future matches.” Junior varsity has had three games already and seems to be on the way to continuing their winning streak. The team’s consistent victories against schools with strong tennis programs such as Beckman High School, San Clemente High School, and University High School is setting the foundation for a successful season.

Girl’s volleyball is also starting off strong in their new season with multiple wins already. Sophomore Maryann Withrow is “so happy to be a part of such an amazing group of people”. Her frosh/soph team is “accepting and has fun even in tough matches.” The team is very committed and she “love[s] the positivity”. They’ve even had a few away games so far, and with all their practices, they’re bound to have a winning season. The CdM volleyball program as a whole has a lot of talent and is described as a “tight and loving community”

This school year, there is also a new addition to the fall sports at CdM, the girl’s flag football team has already had their first game on September 14th at 5:30. Their season began against Arnold O. Beckman High School at Irvine Great Park in their main stadium. After a tough game, the team held their own and ended with the score being tied 6-6! The inclusion of this team will help give girl’s a more equal athletic experience at school. This is the school’s first ever girl’s flag football team, and the players are determined to give CdM a season to be proud of.

With the games going into late November, each of the seven sports competing this fall season will be putting in tiresome hours to beat their competition. The fall sport teams are now looking forward to the oncoming season, and the determination and hard work from all of the athletes will be demonstrated in the months they have ahead of them.