The student news site of Corona del Mar High School

Trident

Trident

Trident

Talk To Us!

What is your favorite of going back-to-school?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Do you have news?

Something you want to write about? A club or activity on campus you want to highlight? Fill out the form here to submit your own articles.

Every Night’s a [Pink Out] Night

CdM’s Kings Krew. Photos courtesy of @cdmoncamera on Instagram.

Friday’s game between the Sea Kings and the Fountain Valley Barons brought Friday Night Football back to Davidson Field. After almost a month hiatus, CdM’s ASB hosted a Barbie themed Pink Out game–an annual ode to Breast Cancer Awareness month–with a twist.

Celebrated during the month of October, Breast Cancer awareness was first established in 1985; CdM’s Pink Out’s have been traced back to since Micheal Dobyns first became CdM’s Activities Director 8 years ago. This year, Senior Class President Will Takara began a new tradition, The Mascot Run. Takara explains, “Mr. Dobyns originally came up with the idea, and I was just the man who was going to implement it.” Takara reflected that CdM’s “student section has been lackluster” and they “wanted to make it more interactive.” In order to support class causes, seniors having selected illnesses, Takara shared that it was “an excellent opportunity to raise money.” The class president states that the charity that will receive the $288 raised from the run and shirt sales is undecided, but it will be going toward breast cancer research. 

The two hour game hosted not only football, but a Barbie photo booth with real life Barbies and Kens, played by the ASB seniors dressed up as iconic Barbie characters from a variety of screen adaptations, ranging from the 2023 Greta Gerwig film to Toy Story 3 and the TV show Barbie Life In the Dreamhouse. ASB President Peyton Vovan, dressed as President Barbie, was stopped by several crowd members for a photo. The theme’s creator, Caroline Bunting “thought it would be a fun twist on our normal Pink Out game.” Bunting is also behind the senior costumes and loved “Getting the chance to deck [the seniors] out and make us all Baribes and Kens.” Atomic Creamery and DJ Ken (Peirce Edwards) also made an appearance. CdM’s Kings Krew danced the night away; the seniors leaned against the rails of the bleacher’s front row and cheered as pink smoke was sprayed above the crowd. Light sticks flickered pink and faces glittered from rose colored paint as CdM continuously scored one touchtown after another.

Drumline and Orchesis both performed at half-time, but most notable was the collaborative performance between CdMHS’s and Fountain Valley’s cheer teams. This unorthodox performance was received with delighted cheers from the crowd. The idea was developed at a summer camp hosted by U.S Spiritleaders shared Cheer and Song coach Morgan Beckman. Beckman says “we realized that we would be playing each other this season” and thought “it would be a fun collaboration to perform one of the camp routines together.”

Despite this, the crowd thinned during the third quarter as the opposing team had yet to score thus far in the game. Three year player and current Tight End for the CdM Football team, Zach Giuliano explains that the team is “4 and 3 this season so we’ve had some wins, some loses.” With this being the first home game after several away games, Giuliano shares “ the environment was good on Friday so it was fun.”

The next time the Sea Kings arrive at Davidson Field they will be led to the guest bleachers as they go up against rivals, the Sailors, at one of the community’s highest attended events, the BOTB game on October 20th where Sea Kings will Bleed Blue.