The student news site of Corona del Mar High School

Trident

Trident

Trident

Talk To Us!

What is your favorite of going back-to-school?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Do you have news?

Something you want to write about? A club or activity on campus you want to highlight? Fill out the form here to submit your own articles.

Treacherous Roads: A Look into the Ice Storms Hitting the Pacific Northwest

Photo courtesy of Kristyna Wentz-Graff at Oregon Public Broadcasting

The first month of 2024 got off to a treacherous start in the Pacific Northwest. The worst affected, Southwest Washington and Western Oregon, suffered major ice storms shutting down power, roads, and schools. Inches of ice and snow accumulation combined with freezing rain formed one of the worst storms seen in this region in almost 30 years. The closed roads forced people to shelter in their homes, and electricity was cut out in many places. Oregon state officials confirmed at least 15 weather-related deaths this January.

CdM junior Sydney Foster feels a personal connection to this hazardous storm, as she has family in Oregon living through it. “My family was updating us as it was going on. It happened right after they went back to school, but it got so cold that most places lost power and heating for days, almost a week I think,” she divulges. “The roads were incredibly icy so people were basically trapped in their houses from the severity of it. My grandparents were actually staying with us while it happened and their flight kept being pushed back due to storms and family basically telling them not to come back because it was so bad.”

With El Nino weather patterns being expected to persist into later seasons of 2024, many places are experiencing inclement weather. Compared to the Oregon ice storms and heavy blizzard conditions in the Midwest, California is extremely lucky. This past week CdM students have experienced light rain. Although not hazardous, rainy days are still a rarity in Southern California. Foster herself loves the rain, but feels that it is “not so nice thinking how California is getting the easy end of the stick” compared to other parts of the country. Junior Eden Clark on the other hand “hates rainy days,” and thinks “they’re only nice once in a while.”

Unfortunately many people across the country have experienced inclement weather this winter, and the treacherous conditions in the Pacific Northwest have had lasting impacts on homes, businesses, power sources, and people.