The student news site of Corona del Mar High School

Trident

Trident

Trident

Talk To Us!

What is your favorite of going back-to-school?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Do you have news?

Something you want to write about? A club or activity on campus you want to highlight? Fill out the form here to submit your own articles.

Volunteering at the Sea Bluffs Ivy Living Signature Community: An Epic, Unforgettable Experience

s
The community enjoying their time at the fall-themed festival.Photo Courtesy of Sophia Aghakhani, edited on PicsArt

The Sea Bluffs, an Ivy Living Signature Community hosted a fun-filled event on Friday, the 27th for the senior living community. Their fall-themed festival brought residents and their families  together to enjoy several activities. From pumpkin painting to a petting zoo, the festival was beyond remarkable. As someone who attended and volunteered during the festival, I thoroughly enjoyed running the pumpkin painting station and interacting with the other families and residents. 

I arrived before the event started and assisted in setting up various booths including a petting zoo, a pumpkin painting station, photo booth, a buffet with a variety of delicious foods, and a spooky music station. While I helped set up one of the booths, I encountered employee Melissa Taylor; she was highly accommodating as she introduced me to the others and got me started. She was appreciative of the community and mentioned her favorite part of working there was “interacting with the residents” because it’s “really fun when you get smiles out of them.” After all the booths were set up, I asked Melissa what she thought the event’s highlight would be, to which she predicted, “Definitely the petting zoo.” 

As the festival began, it turned out that the main event was undoubtedly the petting zoo, with most of the attendees visiting it more than twice. Filled with adorable fluffy animals, the zoo housed a goat and pony for everyone to interact with. I was responsible for managing the pumpkin painting station, where families could choose a pumpkin of their choice to decorate. A pair who participated in this station, Sue and Adrian shared that their “favorite part is seeing all the young kids having fun and bringing families together, “ Adrian agreed, adding, “It brings all the generations together…it attracts everyone.” In addition to the pumpkin painting station, they also enjoyed the photo booth, which included many fun accessories they could incorporate into their photos.  

Over time, guests eventually made their way to the exit; a smile still remained on their faces. They were free to take home any candy given, photos taken, and any pumpkins they painted. While cleaning up, I talked to Shannon, an assistant activity director (and previous CdM student) and learned why she joined the staff. “I wanted to work for a nonprofit, and I figured this was a good halfway mark…I just like interacting with people and seeing them happy,” she says after being asked why she wanted to join. She also mentions they are incredibly grateful of the local companies, like Ralphs and the ABC Pumpkin Farm, for donating numerous goods to them, such as pumpkins and hay bales. When asked if she wanted to put in any last words, she quickly wanted to mention, “Hello to my dad, Mr. Rivera, in the middle school history department!” 

Overall, the festival was a blast and such a great experience. Seeing everyone’s laughter and joy would brighten up just anyone’s day. It is safe to say everyone thoroughly enjoyed their time there. Personally, I can’t wait to attend and participate in future activities to unite the community.

Visit https://ivyliving.com/seabluffs/ to learn more. 

Address: 25411 Sea Bluffs Dr. Dana PointCA 92629

Email: [email protected] 

Phone Number: 949-541-2232

View Comments (3)