The student news site of Corona del Mar High School

Trident

Trident

Trident

Talk To Us!

What is your favorite of going back-to-school?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Do you have news?

Something you want to write about? A club or activity on campus you want to highlight? Fill out the form here to submit your own articles.

Hurricane Lee On its Way

Hurricane Lee Photo courtesy of Wikimedia posted by @anttilip from NASA Satellite data

Hurricane Lee began September 1, 2023; formed on West Africa’s coast, it slowly progressed towards the East Coast of the United States. It was quickly categorized as a Category 1 Hurricane (mainly known for winds reaching 74-95 mph), it is expected to reach Category 4, with winds reaching speeds of 150 mph. 

It’s hurricane season and everyone knows what that means for the East Coast! Florida, most known for its vicious hurricane season, is hit by approximately five hurricanes yearly. These numbers can vary depending on factors such as high winds and rip currents in other areas; nevertheless, it’s safe to say that dual residents know how to prepare. From Hurricane Katrina and now Hurricane Lee, the students at CdM who share ties with the East Coast share their insight on the upcoming hurricane. 

Junior Emily Hands, who usually visits Groveland, Orlando, during her summer, comments on the weather the last time she visited: “[The weather] was very bipolar! Crazy rain one minute and blistering heat the next.” She has experienced many hurricanes before, mainly Category 2 (winds ranging from 96-110 mph). “We’re pretty accustomed to [hurricanes] lower than Category 2…” Emily comments. She advises when experiencing hurricanes to stack up on canned foods and tarp up the windows!  

Junior Nicole Maya, who visits the Miami area in Florida, describes it as “…hot and humid, with afternoon rains.” Although she hasn’t experienced any hurricanes, her grandfather has. When called, he recommended, “…to get a lot of water because the water becomes undrinkable.” He also suggests, “…have flashlights available…the wind will cause the electricity to go out.” Both recommend, like Emily, to stock up on tons of canned food that can last for a while and tarp up the large glass windows. He also mentions, “When it’s really severe, people prefer to lock themselves in a bathroom.”

Overall, hurricanes are a rather scary event, especially if you haven’t experienced them before. Following these tips coming from experienced students and their families, other CdM residents can become more prepared for their next visit to Florida.