The Best of Tim Burton

Tim Burton’s ‘Emily’ from the Corpse Bride. Photo Courtesy of Warner Bros.

Olivia Clarke, Journalist

With Halloween just around the corner, the classic festive movies are making their annual comebacks. Of all the creepy and cozy films, famous director, and artist, Tim Burton has made only the best. Tim Burton, or Timothy Walter Burton, was born in Burbank, California in 1958 and has two children. He worked on many movies before he directed his first, Pee-wee’s Big Adventure (1985).

Beetlejuice (1988) is an award-winning film featuring Winona Ryder that Matisse Robertson, a freshman, says is her favorite of Burton’s “because it’s a classic movie [she] can watch every year without it ever getting old”. Burton also directed Batman (1989) and its follow-up, Batman Returns (1992). Both are two hours and six minutes long. In between the releases of those films, he directed Edward Scissorhands (1990) which starred both Johnny Depp and Winona Ryder. What is to be considered one of his most popular movies, The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) received a ninety-five percent Tomatometer on Rotten Tomatoes and won the Annie Award for Best Individual Achievement for Artistic Excellence in the Field of Animation. Whether it is to be considered a Halloween movie or a very strange Christmas movie, is still up for debate.

In the twenty-first century, he directed Corpse Bride (2005) which is only one hour and fourteen minutes long making it the shortest on this list. Courtenay Pham, a freshman who enjoys that movie, says “I love the art, and Emily.” Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005) and Alice in Wonderland (2010) were released later on and all three titles feature Johnny Depp. Burton returned to stop motion to direct Frankenweenie (2012), which is another one of his films featuring Winona Ryder.

Burton is also one of the directors for the highly anticipated Netflix series Wednesday, which is set to release in November of 2022; Wednesday is a spin-off of The Addams Family (1964).