The student news site of Corona del Mar High School

Trident

Trident

Trident

Talk To Us!

What is your favorite of going back-to-school?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Do you have news?

Something you want to write about? A club or activity on campus you want to highlight? Fill out the form here to submit your own articles.

“Seaking” Our Community

A DEEP DIVE INTO THE CLUBS OFFERED ON CAMPUS AND HOW THEY WILL IMPACT THE WORLD
Photo of Day 2 Club Rush Photo courtesy of Jessica Miramadi ’25

It’s the dawn of a new year here at Corona del Mar, and school clubs have emerged along with it. With a myriad of interests showcasing both academic and creative pursuits, many students have seized the opportunity to channel their interests into both productive and meaningful environments– bringing their passions to fruition. With over 70 clubs to choose from, students have the ability to detract from their typical academic routines and engage in a multitude of activities. This year in particular, however, more and more students are seeking greater impact and involvement in the world that surrounds them. From clubs like the GWC Club to the Human Rights Watch Club, the seaking community is stepping off-campus to embrace a new wave of advocacy across the globe. In fact, many of these clubs have taken the initiative to team up with outside organizations to sponsor their causes. Let’s take a deep dive into the realm of options and see what some of these clubs have to offer:

Starting off strong with the CdM Spanish Language & Culture Club, Junior Taylor Price aims to instill a deeper understanding within the CdM Community of the world and its diverse cultures– more specifically that of Hispanic backgrounds. Having grown up with a lot of this culture, Price strives to create a casual environment that introduces students to the Hispanic world through movies, food, and music. Even if students don’t feel too well-versed in the subject, Price invites anyone to join the club, as “it’s just been such a big part of [her] life, and especially now… [she wants] to be able to share that with other people with or without knowing Spanish”.

On the other side of the club spectrum, Junior Camille Tauro introduces the Girls Who Code Club to all students on campus interested in the domain of code. This club works alongside the non-profit organization, “Girls Who Code” which aspires to balance the gender gap within the field of Computer Science. Tauro welcomes all experience types into the program and hopes to provide a greater understanding of STEM fields and disciplines by using her ties with UCI faculty for future plans to host lectures. Everyone is invited to join, but Tauro expresses an emphasis on encouraging “girls to join because it is a male-dominated field… [and she wants to] bridge that gap a little bit”. The GWC is also dedicated to participating in the Hack-a-thon at some point this year, in which the team would collaborate on creating a large-scale project.

Looking for a club that will leave you with great satisfaction? Join Junior Ashley Larocca in her journey to creating clean and healthy environments along the coastline. Inspired by the Earth Fair during the ‘22-’23 school year, Larocca found a sense of fulfillment after participating in a local beach cleanup event. Finding that a small amount of time could make a large amount of difference, she sought to form a club that could unite people who share similar ambitions. “I really want to have people feel like they’re making a change in our little area… [and] try and help it be a safe environment for all the little fishies,” she says, “[so] if you’re thinking about it, you should one hundred percent join because it’s just a great opportunity to meet new people in other grades, especially if you’re a freshman”. Larocca plans to begin the year with monthly meetings, and hopes to expand opportunities for more participation throughout the school year. 

On the topic of large-scale movements, students Jillian Kaufman and Alexandra Grant are currently leading the Corona del Mar division of the Blaze it Forward campaign. This club is dedicated to promoting inclusivity for struggling students who desire to have a safe environment to turn to. This movement was inspired by the unfortunate death of Blaze Bernstein, a sophomore at UPenn when he was murdered on a hike in Orange County. After his passing, Bernstein’s parents sought to advocate for LGBTQ+ rights (as it was considered to be a hate crime against Berstein’s sexuality and ethnic background). Throughout the year, Kaufman and Grant are hoping to promote more inclusivity on campus, provide safe spaces for students, and increase the number of guest speakers to enhance awareness, along with more opportunities to lend a hand towards the cause.

Looking for a club that stresses the importance of representation? The Human Rights Watch is another club on campus that puts great emphasis on student voices. Seniors Lexie Popper and Aiden Maestas have formed this in hopes of advocating for human rights across the nation. This club features multiple divisions that focus on digital privacy, the border crisis, the declaration of human rights, and environmental protection. They also find the club as a way to improve important life skills for anyone who wants to be heard, saying they “believe it’s important for people to just advocate for anything they want” Maestas follows, “In the future, they don’t need to advocate for what we’re trying to advocate, but they need to know how to do it and [we] think giving them that voice is important”.

Suffice it to say, CdM is chock full of amazing organizations dedicated to inhibiting positive change both within and beyond the border of our school. All of these clubs and more are 

“seaking our community” outside the bounds of high school, and promoting life-changing atmospheres that aspire to make the world a better place and enact positive change.