An End to Daylight Savings Time

Information contained in this article is from: Five Thirty-Eight “Do Americans Really Want Permanent Daylight Savings Time?” Photo courtesy of: Boris Meadow Shutterstock

Evan Razmjoo, Journalist

On November 6th, daylight savings time ended, and students at Corona del Mar High School gratefully gained an extra hour of sleep. Though everyone loves an extra hour of sleep, the clock changes that cause it are not loved by the majority of people. A Monmouth University poll conducted in mid-March of this year found that only 35 percent of Americans wanted to keep resetting their clocks every fall and spring, while a YouGov poll conducted March 16 found that 59 percent of Americans wanted to see daylight saving time made permanent.
This decision would have several benefits for Americans. It would allow people to be out in the daylight more, something not only better for people’s lifestyles but the economy as well; people are more inclined to go out and shop or visit stories during daylight hours. Additionally, safety is improved as people driving home from their jobs are able to see the streets more clearly, and criminal activity is reduced through greater public visibility. Families are able to go on walks or take their dogs out for a stroll in the park. After school, students would like to be able to hang out with their friends at the mall, go out and play their favorite outdoor games such as baseball, soccer, or tennis while it’s sunny, and enjoy the rest of the day outside of school. Fardad Kheirabadi, a freshman student at CDM, provided his thoughts on this issue: “I really enjoy being able to go out with my friends after school when there is light and participate in a variety of activities. I am glad that California is making daylight savings time permanently effective as of next year.” Likewise, John Vogt, a sophomore at CDM, explained how, “With my schedule, daylight savings time being permanent is going to be beneficial as I am a baseball player and it will not be as dark when winter time approaches.” This spring, we can all look forward to “springing forward” one last time into a brighter tomorrow.