The student news site of Corona del Mar High School

Trident

Trident

Trident

Talk To Us!

What is your favorite of going back-to-school?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Do you have news?

Something you want to write about? A club or activity on campus you want to highlight? Fill out the form here to submit your own articles.

The Simpler, the Better

Pen+and+paper.+Photo+courtesy+of+Getty+Images+
Pen and paper. Photo courtesy of Getty Images

While it is a popular belief that the convenience of taking notes on a laptop or other devices is quick and easy, studies suggest that it is not the most beneficial way for the human brain to make connections. Indeed, new research indicates that taking notes by hand has proven to be the most effective learning technique for people of all ages. As Professor Audrey van der Meer from the Norwegian University of Science and Technology has noted in a recent study: “When writing by hand, brain connectivity patterns are far more elaborate than when typing on a keyboard. Such widespread brain connectivity is known to be crucial for memory formation and for encoding new information and, therefore, is beneficial for learning.” One reaction to this information is from Bill Zhan, a 10th-grade student at Corona del Mar High School, who discussed how, “Although I believe that writing on the computer is much more convenient, I know that I will remember more of the content by doing it by hand. There’s something about the content that instantly clicks back once I have written it down. Additionally, it is nice to give my eyes a break from the screen.” While some people may find the digital learning experience more enjoyable, others appreciate the basic practice of grabbing a simple piece of paper and not staring at a screen powered by an energy source. Jonas Lampaert, a 10th-grade student at CdM, agreed, saying, “I have always been a pen-and-paper person. First of all, for me, my writing skills are much better than my typing skills. Secondly, I don’t have to charge a notebook, and I can’t get distracted just by clicking on another tab. My notebook is solely dedicated to academics, unlike my computer, which can be used for various tasks that may distract me.” Whether one decides to do their learning using a computer or pen and paper, multiple studies show that the most effective strategy is to do it the old-fashioned way, not with a glowing screen.

Information contained in this article is from:
U.S. News “Your Brain Prefers Writing by Hand Than by Keyboard”