The student news site of Corona del Mar High School

Trident

Trident

Trident

Talk To Us!

What is your favorite of going back-to-school?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Do you have news?

Something you want to write about? A club or activity on campus you want to highlight? Fill out the form here to submit your own articles.

CdM’s Driving Culture: Safely Navigating Campus Roads

Photo Courtesy of Lauren Steussy on ocregister.com

Driving around Corona del Mar at times could feel a bit hectic, especially for those who are just starting to get comfortable behind the wheel. The need to be extra careful of pedestrians and other vehicles, especially in a school zone, is emphasized and extremely important to ensure no accidents occur. Undeniably, the somewhat cramped roads become much busier in the morning with student drivers and experienced drivers alike heading onto campus. Being behind the wheel is a responsibility for one’s safety as well as the safety of others. Driving is considered a rite of passage for many young adults, symbolizing independence and a newfound freedom, but it must be treated with caution. 

There are specific times when the roads around campus are actively patrolled by police. One of CdM’s school resource officers of three years, Officer Shen, makes sure those who are driving obey rules put in place to keep the roads safe. When asked what he thinks about the driving culture around the school, Shen states, “I would say it’s no different from any other high school that has student drivers.” He continues with, “The thing with newer drivers is they haven’t been on the road that long, so they’re still testing out the waters.” This statement is proven as insurance rates amongst teens are higher since they are new and experiencing what they can do with their car, such as how fast they can go. Shen believes the biggest problem with student drivers is probably “speeding and disregarding provisional licenses.” Provisional licenses are given to newer drivers indicating that they can’t drive anybody in their car that’s under 18 years old. He mentions, “A way police officers affect traffic patterns is by writing citations, giving warnings, or simply being visible.” Limiting any violations on the road, whether that be in a car or walking outside, is vital for maintaining a safe community as well as an overall more pleasant driving experience. 

Students at CdM have their own opinions about driving near the school, such as junior Serenity Roman, who shares, “I think it’s okay, I mean I wouldn’t say it’s the best.” No matter where you drive, being careful with one’s surroundings is the most important thing. Without full attention on the road and what’s going on around the vehicle, there is a higher chance of a collision or a simple mistake which could cost much more than expected. With her experience behind the wheel around campus, Roman noticed that “usually people drive too fast or too slow, it’s always one or the other.” This highlights the common ground drivers need to find between those who are less experienced and those who have become accustomed to their vehicle.

Junior Taylor Price believes “driving at CdM is good and easy if you’re not late.” Getting to school earlier is beneficial since the roads aren’t too packed and there’s less traffic, so there is less room for common accidents. However, the majority of people do arrive a bit later and that causes the roads to fill up and getting to one’s destination becomes a whole lot slower. Price mentioned another problem she has seen happen and that is when “people are not looking before they back up when walking to your car.” This issue ties directly into the importance of being aware of one’s surroundings to ensure not blindly taking action and causing an accident. 

Overall, CdM, like almost every high school, will be home to student drivers going through a learning process through their constant experiences. Looking out for one another and driving with caution is, as shared by Officer Shen, an utmost important aspect.