Public Mask Mandate

Photo courtesy getty images

Tara Afshar, Journalist

It is hard to believe that starting March 12, 2022, students and staff in California schools are no longer required to wear masks indoors, regardless of their vaccination status. This new order comes a month after Governor Newsom and a group of California state health officials lifted the mandate for vaccinated people gathering in outdoor spaces and restaurants. Officials are anticipating that by March 12, 2022, California’s COVID 19 infection rates will have dropped substantially lower, compared to states like New York and Connecticut, that have successfully had mask mandates lifted in schools as well.

For the class of 2022, this will hopefully be the year where senior prom and graduation ceremonies will start to look and feel normal again. For the past 2 years students have been robbed of these celebratory occasions. Senior Vlad Marinescu “I think it’s a good thing that the mask mandate is being lifted because it gives people more freedom in their decisions. Those who want to wear a mask can continue wearing one and those who don’t want to won’t have to. However, I still think it’s important to respect people’s decisions and the mandate being lifted is a good opportunity to promote differences in people’s choices based on what they think is best for themselves without bringing in political ideology”. Checking into college dorm rooms for incoming freshmen will no longer be a lonely experience, and students will no longer be isolated in their dorm rooms.

It is hard to imagine after nearly two years of wearing masks and abiding the social distancing rules, that life will gradually start going back to normal. For some it will be an easy transition to jump back into crowded settings, and for others it might take a while to feel safe in congested areas. People have gotten used to becoming germophobic and wiping down surfaces from classroom tables to airplane trays. How will the world transition out of these rudimentary COVID 19 regiments?

It will be liberating to not have to wear masks anymore, and once again see people’s faces and smiles. Can’t imagine what movie theaters will be like, and when moviegoers are able to enjoy snacks from the concession stands, and once again escape into the world of cinematic imagination. As the US progresses with successfully lifting the mask mandates, and COVID 19 infection rates continuing to plummet, it looks like summer 2022 is going to be a busy year for traveling and once again creating great memories.