Harvest Harmonies

Harvest+Harmonies

Anabelle Taylor, Journalist

The program started with a mesmerizing performance by Vox Angelica whose first song, “Silver Apples of the Moon,” had the trilling tempo of a lullaby. Next, they confidently sang “Nothin’ Gonna Stumble My Feet.” This earworm was told from the perspective of someone who’s looking to conquer the world. This excellent opening performance was meant with uproarious applause.

Without skipping a beat, the drumline burst in, and seats rhythmically vibrated through their set. These precise percussionists were able to simultaneously play and move, and some executed this while playing 5 drums at once. It’s abundantly clear that lots of time, effort, and raw talent went into this show.

Next up was Men of Note which was one of the smaller groups. With only seven singers, they were able to fill the auditorium with the jaunty tune “Wherever Fortune Calls Me.” After this song, it was apparent that these sea kings have found their calling. The next song was a popular song: “Take Me Home, Country Roads” which caused the audience to clap along in recognition; however, they were quickly silenced by Mr. Balls swatting. Instead, the audience deferred to swaying along to the familiar tune. This set showed the talent of not only the singers but also Mr. Ball who was able to conduct a whole gymnasium.

Following Men of Note was a clarinet trio who’s melody ebbed and flowed with trilling chimes and crescendos. In the middle of the song, one of the clarinetist’s music sheets slipped off her music stand, but her instrument continued sure and strong.

Wendy Webeck debuted when she conducted “The Girl from Ipanema” this ballad was sure to cause anyone in earshot to “swing so cool and move so gently.” Their second song “Amavolovolo” demanded attention in aggressive bursts only to transcend into a softer song almost like an apology. These two voices- angered and angelic-  battled to be heard throughout the rest of the piece.

At this point in the show, Mr. Jamora shared that “due to COVID, there have been little to no enrolments which devastated the whole music program.” In his own class, he usually separates the beginners from intermediate players; however, this year, all the musicians are playing together. He emotionally announced how proud he was for their resilience after a difficult start, “I dragged them across the finish line like Lightning McQueen when he had no tires on.” This speech gave the audience a new appreciation for the incredible set the band performed including: “Short Overture for String” and “Concerto for Violin and Orchestra in f minor Mvmt I.”

Switching back to vocals, Profundo sang “The Wellerman” which was like a barnacle in the brain. The song was an enveloping, colorful shanty that Profundo sang with their arms flung around each other like crewmen. Trident magazine salutes them for their performance. Their second song was dedicated to fathers. The boys sang in admiration and eagerness to follow in their dad’s footprints whether that meant becoming a sailor, anthropologist, a refrigerator repairman, or even a pocket-picking, finger-licking chicken plucker. It’s important to note that the soloist who sang the tongue-twisting tune about a pocket-picking finger-licking chicken plucker executed the phrase flawlessly.

Next up was Intermediate Orchestra who pulled off a playful piece that varied between sprinting, strolling, and skipping. During this performance, one talented musician was on a triangle. As the music swelled and the conductor pointed at him, he dropped his triangle missing the cue. On the next cue, he said “hi” to his mom in the audience. On the next, he floundered and toppled his music stand. On the next, he answered a phone call from his friend. Finally, he hit the elementary shape on cue. Evidently, fifth time’s the charm.

This show was truly an impressive show of all the different musical talent that can be found on campus. Which, according to Mr. Ball, “couldn’t have been done without our wonderful students and staff.”