2019 Spirit Run

Zoe Deralas, Journalist

On March 18th, which was St. Patrick’s Day, the 36th Annual Spirit run took place at Fashion Island in Newport Beach. With a quick and easy sign up online, the association welcomes any individual to participate in the different races offered. There is a wide range of runners who can be recognized as young children, teens and adults. Some of the participants are part of a running club, and the event could have been a part of their training, however there were also people out there doing their best and having a good time.

The Spirit Run is a nice event for friends, family and competitors alike to come together and support the public benefit corporation. The NMSRI (Newport Mesa Spirit Run Inc.) has a motto known as “Race for All Schools”, which means that their earnings and benefits can be won by certain individuals and organizations to help financially support a school within the Newport-Mesa Unified School District. Corona del Mar High School’s cheer, choir and jazz band group was there to support, as other CdM school clubs were present and volunteering as well.

The association has a wholesome philosophy and is praised by many, as it is made to help its contenders, “I have never been in a race with such great enthusiasm and support from the participants. They cheer for everyone from start to finish.” -Steve Scott, America’s Premier Miler, an Olympian who holds the world record for running the most sub-4 minute miles. Since 1983, Steve Scott has warmed up and led the kids in each of their 1/4 – 1- Mile races. Steve also starts the Elite Mile and the Open Mile races for adults” (https://www.nmspiritrun.org/what-we-do).

The Spirit Run is supported by many people in and around Newport Beach, and the organization does an excellent job of portraying their goals in terms of the public eye as they mention “NMSRI’s mission is (1) to present a community event promoting childhood fitness; (2) to provide free training, event entries, and bus transportation to local students who are unable to pay; and (3) to provide an opportunity to receive a share of net proceeds to local schools, teams, and clubs demonstrating commitment to our mission” on their website.

There were awards given to those who completed certain races in an allotted amount of time, and these prizes consist of medals, cash prizes and restaurant gift cards. The races that were held in the event this year were the elite mile, the dog mile, the half mile, the 800M, the 400M, the 15k, 10k and two divisions of the 5k, one being a youth race. All of the results to these races can be viewed at the following link: https://gemininext.com/results/?event_id=6626 . All in all, the run was successful and beneficial for both the participants and the city.