CdM’s First Drama and Music Mixer

Advertisement for the event. Photo courtesy of @cdmhstheaterbybapa on Instagram

Nadia Khazei, Journalist

CdM’s inaugural Drama & Music Mixer occurred Tuesday, November 8. From 5:30-8:00, students from both CDM Drama and CDM Vocal Music showed up to meet each other, spend time with their friends, and help with strengthening the bonds between the two performing arts programs.

Despite the torrential rain and cold, the turnout was high, as many from both the middle and high school departments showed up to the event. All of the activities had been pre-planned for an indoor-only event due to the weather forecast, which proved to make the event feel more close-knit and cozy for those who attended. The Vocal Music Council Community Development division had set up the four main rooms of the 600 building to accommodate all of the attendees and make the mixer enjoyable. The drama room was designated the food area, the choir room the hub for playing Super Smash Bros., the band room for Jackbox, and the Black Box for Just Dance. Due to the limited space as a result of the rain, the hallway of the building and the stairwell next to the theater were also used as spaces to socialize.

The event ran smoothly, students progressing from the food tables to areas to play games and talk with each other. Senior and drama student Claire Taylor thought that the event was, “great,” since it was, “the first time that we’ve done a mixer with choir…” She was very excited to be at the event and discussed how it was a good opportunity for her to spend time with her friends in choir.

Though there is overlap between the two departments, it can still be difficult for students in one to engage with the other due to a lack of time together. Most friendships are formed through shared experiences, so this mixer was a great way to help the programs get to know each other more and bond over food, the best way to get anyone’s attention. Senior Jett Collins, a member of both choir and drama departments, said that the event helped him, “engag[e] with people in groups that I don’t normally interact with.”

Overall, the mixer was seen as a success and, hopefully, marks the beginning of a new tradition for the vocal and drama departments.