CdM’s 60th Birthday – Jubilee

Photo courtesy of the CDM foundation

Maria Dahl and Nika Aydin

On a warm Saturday afternoon, the Parent Teachers Association put on a Jubilee to celebrate Corona del Mar High School’s 60th birthday. To celebrate, and also showcase CdM, ASB led campus tours, students showcased their club or class, and there was a rally in the gym. During the rally, ASB discussed the new “happenings” at school and there were performances from choir, band, and dance.

The Jubilee, an overall success, was enjoyed by many visitors. From CdM alumni who last walked the halls as students over sixty years ago to parents with their prospective students, there was a variety of guests. Included in their purchased tickets, was the open house on campus from 11 AM to 4 Pm and the “Rock the Endowment” music and food fest afterward from 6 PM to 10 PM at the Newport Dunes. During the open house, guests could expect campus tours and student performances from choir, band, and dance. They also got to see the track dedication to Coach William Sumner and a pep rally. In the quad, there was an array of food options including fast food, ice cream, smoothies, and acai bowls. The Jack’s Surf Shop pop-up store with CdM merchandise was especially popular among students, teachers, and visitors alike. 

There were also many current CdM students in attendance at the Jubilee. Aside from the ASB students welcoming guests and leading tours, there were students from many different clubs and organizations volunteering their time as well. Sophomore Kaden Olsen “was working the PAL booth” and his favorite part of the event was “seeing Coach Sumner’s track named after him.” Olsen enjoyed the experience, and feels “that it’s also really important that people see what our school is about.” Similarly to Olsen, Grace Audiss, a sophomore on “ASB”, loved watching “all of the different people of different ages coming together to give back to CdM.” She believes that “the jubilee is important to update the alumni on all of the new and exciting things that are happening at CdM after they have graduated.” Representing CdM’s music program, junior Aiden Maestas and senior Alex Venanzi also appreciated the celebration. Maestas “was at the instrumental music booth” and the highlight of the jubilee for him “was going to the different booths and seeing the other parts of cdm.” He is glad that the event “helped [the alumni] reminisce about what they experienced at cdm and how it’s either changed or stayed the same.” Venanzi, splitting his time between both “the choir booth and the instrumental music booth”, liked “getting to see all the alumni and show them what the arts looks like on our campus today” He agrees that “the jubilee is definitely beneficial to provide donations for all the hardworking organizations involved at our school and it is a great way to welcome back the many who have graduated.”

All these people were able to come to the Jubilee because of the PTA; they put this event on for CdM’s annual fundraiser. It was to raise money to support the programs that NMUSD no longer funds. 100% of the proceeds go to provide supplemental staff, technology enhancements, major and minor infrastructure improvements, college preparatory advice, departmental grants, and athletic program enhancements. 

Thank you to the student and parent volunteers for successfully hosting CdM’s Jubilee.