Boys Water Polo Luau: Three wins for the team

Photos courtesy of @cdmboyspolo on Insagram Left: CdM Boys Water Polo game highlights Right: CdM Girls Water Polo team

Karissa Beltran-Jimenez, Journalist

Corona del Mar High School was a busy scene on Wednesday the 28th with overlapping games for girls volleyball, girls flag football, and boys water polo scheduled throughout the evening, but a luau-themed game brought out many students and families to the CdM pool for a night of boys polo. Waiting for them at the gate, audiences were offered free shaved ice and upon entry and lays were handed out to further their Hawaiian experience as they awaited the start of the game.
Stands were full before the boys entered the pool but more flooded in as the freshman/sophomore meet was in its early moments. Among the attendees were the CdM girl’s water polo members in support of boy’s polo as they took on Edison at home. In light of ASB’s recent efforts, CdM faculty and students have been attending each other’s games in support of their peers. Boys water polo was no exception to that, seeing as Fresh/Soph water polo players were seen attending Fresh/Soph and JV girls volleyball, prior to their game.
Signaling the start of the game, the boys walked out onto the poolside and were announced as they dove into the pool. Starting off a series of wins from the team were the Freshman/Sophomore boys who scored 12-3. JV proceeded with a 15-8 win and finally, Varsity ended the night’s matches with an impressive 14-3 win against Edison. This came as no surprise following a great start to the season and just recently @cdmboyspolo on Instagram announced that the team ranked 8th in the O.C. on September 14th. CdM Boys Water Polo player Aiden Anavim credits his captain Dylan Jatwani who has “done a really good job of keeping [them] on [their] toes…and stay in the best shape [they] can.” Shouting out his coach, Anavim adds that Mr. Captan and Jatwani are the team’s biggest contributors, “they get results they want.” @cdmboyspolo Instagram later congratulated the team posting the night’s highlights captioned with “CdM swept Edison!” and “Awesome work Sea Kings! Keep it up.”