Winter Formal

Winter+Formal

Ryleigh Snow, Journalist

Winter formal, or WOFO as students call it, was a hit this past Saturday night, January twenty-ninth. The majority of CdM students took limos and party buses and showed up looking very fitting to the double 0 seven theme. Winter formal is not only a fun way to get a group together and dress up fancy, but it’s also a bonding experience with peers and classmates from school, who you wouldn’t regularly hang out with! CdM sold over seven hundred and 50 tickets, and the dance was held at hangar twenty-one in Fullerton. The venue itself was awing, with a half indoor and half outdoor effect, strobe lights, a DJ, pastry table, and even a coffee truck! (From personal experience, the iced hazelnut latte was a 10/10) The combination of the loud music and laser light show made the dance floor the place to be. CdM takes a particular liking to mosh pits and jumping in sync, and if you are brave enough to take part in this, watch out! You might lose a phone, a shoe, or a corsage in the pit. . Speaking on mosh pits, the students at formal formed one of the biggest dance circles yet, where peers would take turns dancing solo or with a friend in the middle, while everyone on the outside sang, danced, and cheered them on. Two senior boys took the spotlight when they entered the circle, and flipped over each other, causing the crowd to scream with a combination of excitement and awe.

Although there weren’t any slow dances, winter formal dates were shown all over Instagram, VSCO, and some Snapchat stories. Most dates matched ties to dresses, or ties to shoes, creating a cute and fun way to show peers at the dance and after parties that they were together. .

After parties aren’t affiliated with the school, but often an activity that’s followed by returning from the dance. This is where multiple groups can come together to hang out after the dance and can range anywhere from a chill kickback, to groups and groups of students wanting to extend the fun. This year, students held after parties at their houses, rented out clubhouses, hotel rooms, and rec rooms. A cute idea that one group of sophomores took part in was taking the majority of their pictures from the party on a disposable camera and getting the film developed the day after.

From the students that attended winter formal, the gossip is that it was a success! They not only had a fun Saturday night in a new area, but they got good music, good treats, good pictures, and good friends to go along with them. By the way that Juniors and Seniors have already started talking about their prom plans, it is obvious that school dances are a fun and memorable part of the high school experience.