Yellow Ribbon Week

Kaydence Osgood, Journalist

The week of December 6th to December 10th was PAL’s Yellow Ribbon Week. The goal of the week was to bring awareness to, “suicide prevention and how to talk to your friends if they’re struggling with mental health” according to twelfth grade PAL member Bridget Morgan who was in charge of the week. Ninth grade PAL member Eden Clark added that the goal was to, “explain the purpose of how important mental health is especially before finals.” PAL specifically holds this campaign the week before finals because they know it is a high-stress time.

On Monday they handed out encouraging cards to help lift students’ spirits. On Tuesday at lunch Patrick’s Purpose along with school counselors held a panel in the Lecture Hall. On Wednesday students could write what “lifted them up” on a piece of paper in the shape of a feather in the quad. On Thursday students could write down their problems on a piece of paper and throw it in a trash can. On Friday they had corn hole and spike ball as well as people to sit with if a student didn’t have anyone. Throughout the week there were encouraging and informational posters around campus as well as a video on Trident TV with statistics on suicide and mental health in teens.

Both Morgan and Clark had personal connections to the week. Clark stated, “ I know someone very close to me who had a lot of mental health problems… so this week is very important to me because that person is very important to me.” Morgan had specifically chosen to lead Yellow Ribbon Week this year and explained, “ I’ve struggled a lot with mental health and so I just wanted to be the one addressing it.”

Morgan also had a few pieces of advice for students. Her advice is “having grace with yourself and just being like ‘I’m okay where I’m at’”. Another tip with friends, specifically, is “understanding that if they’re struggling with depression… it’s not your fault if you can’t cheer them up and you shouldn’t be mad at them if they don’t want to hang out or be super energetic because they can’t.” One more thing she said is that “I feel like therapy is important, but a lot of people don’t go, but I think everyone should cause they everyone has something to talk about,” she then addressed that some people may not be allowed to get therapy, but added, “… honestly just talking with adults about [problems] really releases a lot of pressure.”

One thing Trident wants to say is that if you are struggling please reach out to someone. There are many resources available, please use them. Whether you believe it or not, there are so many people in this world who love you and want to be there for you. We care about you and we don’t want anything to happen to you. ❤️