HRC Mental Health Speaker

Lucy Millman, Journalist

On Thursday in the lecture hall at lunch, the Human Relations Council (HRC) brought in psychologist Dr. Namdari to come and speak to Corona del Mar high schoolers about mental health. Dr. Namdari answered questions from students, giving out helpful advice and tips for people struggling with mental illness and people who have friends or family members who suffer from mental illness. He discussed ways to get help for students and to help friends whom they may be worried about. Tips included going to a parent or trusted adult to discuss any concerns one might have about their own mental health or a friend’s mental health, regularly checking in with those who seem to be suffering, and being there for them.

The event proved to be very informative and helpful with Freshman Nika Aydin saying, “I thought that Dr. Namdari was really informative! I was able to understand the steps of treatment and how to help someone who is trying to cope with a mental health issue. I found it very interesting that people want someone to be with them or just hold their hand instead of always checking in!” Junior Nazli Nazemian also enjoyed the event and thought it was important, saying that “mental illness is not a personal failure and it is important to remember that your mental health is just as important as your physical health and to reach out and get help regardless of how big or small your struggles seem.”

Mental illness is definitely a tricky subject, with many still regarding it to be too taboo to discuss. The stigma around mental illness is damaging, so it’s important to have events like these in order to show students that mental illness is not something to feel embarrassed about. Mental illness is very common and it’s important to go get help and support for it. Although it may seem scary or lonely, there are many great resources for those struggling.

Here are a couple of great resources for anyone in need of them:

National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

TeenLine: 800-852-8336

CA Youth Crisis Line: 1-800-843-5200

National Alliance on Mental Illness: 800-950-6254 or Text NAMI to 741741

More hotlines listed here:

https://victimsofcrime.org/help-for-crime-victims/national-hotlines-and-helpful-links