A Virtual Graduation

Polina Barilo, Journalist

The Corona del Mar class of 2020 is graduating online, among many other schools and universities across the globe. Some seniors are upset with the change, while others don’t mind it as long as they receive a proper graduation ceremony sometime in the future. Here is what some CdM seniors have to say about graduating online.

“Pointless.” -Chris Burri

“I think graduating online is something none of us ever thought would be happening. I definitely wish that we were able to walk across the stage in front of all of our families and throw our caps up with all our friends. I just hope that this virtual ceremony can still be something special for all of us seniors. We deserve a nice end to our high school years.” -Tori Gyselaar

“Yeah it’s a fat bummer what we’re going through. All the 13 years of school to lead up to our final months as a senior to be stripped away from us like this is terrible. And graduating online just doesn’t feel the same.” -Will Golan

“I think it’s safe to say that I’ve been looking forward to graduation since elementary school. Like for most people, graduation is something we have been looking forward to for a long time. It’s strange to think that the last moments of high school are spent apart from friends we’ve made throughout our high school years. I like to look at the positives and think about how we are the first class to ever experience this strange but new way of graduating, and even though it is different, we are all still going to end the year together virtually.” -Eva Berzon

“I think the class of 2020 is very special and there are many safe and healthy alternative ways there could have been for an in-person graduation. Every senior has worked their best and their hardest and deserves a meaningful commemoration for such a milestone.” -Maddy Trester

“I mean I get why they want to do online graduation, but at the end of the day I am not looking forward to sitting in my house alone as I toss my cap into the air and watch it sadly hit the ceiling of my home. I think if we were to do a graduation, the rest of my classmates and I would prefer that NMUSD leaders wait on making a decision and experiment all the possible ways to ensure an in-person graduation.” -Shane Premer