The Magic Shoe Club

Britta Wolker, Journalist

Magic Shoe Club Member Ashley Riba

Among the many different clubs at CDM, one club in particular focuses on the collection, cleaning, and distribution of gently used shoes in order to help children and adults in need. The Magic Shoe Club was founded just over 30 years ago by CDM’s cross country & track coach Bill Sumner and his wife Mary Ellen Sumner. The club was originally made in honor of Cynthia Holcomb (a friend of Coach Sumner who challenged him back in 2003 to gather and give away a thousand shoes that year) that suddenly died of a heart attack just a day after giving him that goal. Since then with the help of Corona Del Mar students, thousands of shoes have been distributed to high school running programs, elementary schools, homeless shelters, churches, boys & girls clubs, working wardrobes, and soup kitchens.

Club leader Junior Annabelle Boudreau believes that “The Magic Shoe Club is so special and important because it allows those less fortunate to have access to a pair of shoes whether it be to run in or just to wear.”

The Magic Shoe Club gladly takes and works with what is given. Its purpose is simply to allow kids joining the club to be appreciative of what they have and help others enjoy what is many times taken for granted. Who knows, a mere pair of running shoes could inspire an individual to start a new life as an athlete, no matter where they’re starting from. Hopefully, this organization will continue on for decades to come and hold on to its core concept of kindness and generosity towards our community.