The Value of a Good Podcast

Georgia Jeter, Journalist

I have always been an avid music listener. Anytime I get in my car, turn on background noise in my house, or hang out with friends, I always choose to listen to music. Up until recently, I always disregarded podcasts as slightly boring and unhelpful. I have now revised that statement.

I recently discovered the appeal and effect of a captivating podcast. A few weeks ago, I listened to a podcast titled “The Limit Does Not Exist.” The audio features two STEM women, Christina Wallace and Cate Scott Campbell, who are both insanely knowledgeable, experienced, comedic, and relatable. Each episode hosts a different multidisciplinary guest, including professionals for a variety of different fields. A few of the episodes have featured Kamal Sinclair- artist, director, and Director of the Sundance Institute’s New Frontier Labs Programs, Tracy Fullerton- a professor of interactive media and games at the USC School of Cinematic Arts, and Amy Emmerich, the Chief Content Officer at Refinery29.

As of right now, there are 101 episodes. On each one, the featured guests discuss their life story, profession, life experiences, and typically a controversy within their field. For example, in episode 99, Amy Emmerich shares her success story and how she transitioned from her role behind the camera to producing content across all kinds of platforms. Emmerich highlights the skills and ingredients that have led her to become so successful in an original career path that is different from most.

Listening to these podcasts is the perfect way to start a morning or spark ideas and thoughts that you might have never thought of before. One is able to receive all the benefits from listening to the conversation without actively having to engage and participate in a conversation on their own. It opens new perspectives and offers advice and commentary from some very knowledgeable people.