Denver School Shooting

Ivy Hollander, Journalist

Over the past few years, hundreds of school shootings have occured, scarring people’s lives forever. On May 7, one student was killed and seven students were severely injured. Two suspected shooters opened fire at the school, a STEM school in the Denver suburb of Highlands Ranch. At around 2 pm, one of the school administrators called to report the shots that were fired. Witnesses believed that the two shooters were one adult male and one juvenile male. They were considered to be holding and actively using a handgun.

Since nothing is confirmed, the sheriff’s department cannot name anyone who was killed or injured. They also have not released the names of the two suspects, who are currently in custody.

Confirmed by the police department, the student who was sadly killed was an 18 year old. All of the other injured students were taken to the hospital to be taken care of. Some of the hurt students were taken right into surgery and some of the others were recently released from the hospital on Tuesday evening.

There is a total of 1,850 students at the school. The police officers are trying their best to locate all of them to make sure that no one went missing. They are also making sure that all of the children get to their parents.

The school campus happens to be very close to the Columbine High School. This high school had a mass shooting 20 years ago on April 20 in 1999. In this shooting, two men used guns to murder 12 students and one teacher, which followed by them shooting themselves.

There has been a countless number of school shooting and it needs to stop. With so much social media, it is necessary to spread awareness about this huge issue. It is important to teach and influence others about the right thing to do.