HRC’s Be Kind To Your Mind Week

HRCs Be Kind To Your Mind Week

Mallorie Cohen, Journalist

This week, April 29 through May 3, the Human Rights Council (HRC) is hosting their annual Be Kind To Your Mind Campaign, which focuses on mental health and the stigma that surrounds it. There will be a speaker on Thursday from the HOAG ASPIRE group coming on Thursday at 4:30 to speak about teen mental health in the Lecture Hall. The goal of the campaign is that by providing these resources to struggling students they feel more confident in getting the help that they deserve. Board Member Kara Pauley wanted to share that, “We all know that mental illness is prevalent in our society and that students at our school struggle with finding help and knowing what to do if their friends struggle. With one in five teenagers living with a mental illness, we can all agree mental health is just as important as physical health. HRC wants students to know that there are always readily available resources for you or someone you know to use if you are struggling with mental health. For example, your pediatrician, school counselors, and private mental health professionals could all be valuable resources for dealing with mental health issues. There are many talk lines including the national suicide hotline number which is 1-800-273-8255 or 1-800-273-TALK. Another good option if you are just having a tough time is Teen Line, a hotline for teens answered by trained teens. We hope that by providing these resources students will feel more confident in getting the help that they deserve.” Be Kind to Your Mind is all about reducing the stigma of mental illness and helping students on campus.