Boys Volleyball Battle of the Bay

Natasha Karam and Emma Joyce

On Wednesday, April 17th, the Corona del Mar boys volleyball team had their second battle of the bay game of the season.  Their prior game against Newport Harbor ended in a disappointing loss, so the second league game was greatly anticipated. The Wednesday night game was also senior night, and the boys celebrated CdM seniors Adam Flood, Nick Alacano, Max Dunk, Christian Hernandez, Matt Olson, Connor Zylstra, and Spencer Wardwell. Parents, students, and friends filled the gym in support of the seniors’ final season of CdM volleyball. The supporters went into the game with great anticipation and hoped for a redemption against CdM high school’s rival.

They began the game with a strong lead, winning with a score of 25-18. They lost the second game 22-25, but came back to win the next two games 25-15 and 25-22.  The crowd was overjoyed about the win against Newport as they look forward to a very successful season, and this will carry them into their next games.

Sophomore Tristan Wardwell, member of the CdM junior varsity boys volleyball team, stated, “The boys played great tonight, probably because they were disappointed about losing to Harbor last week and they wanted a good comeback. Both games were really close and really fun to watch.”

Sophomore, Molly Joyce, while watching the game stated, ” The game kept me on the edge of my seat and I am super glad they came back strong from their loss last week. It was super entertaining and fun to watch with my friends and I can not wait for the upcoming games.”

The next game takes place on Tuesday, April 23rd, against Laguna Beach, and the team hopes for many supporters. The immense amount support the team received from their crowd and fellow peers helped the team come back from their second game with two wins.