Pacific Coast Championships

Back to Article
Back to Article

Pacific Coast Championships

Kennedy Leehealey, Journalist

This past weekend, while most CdM students were enjoying the last few day of Spring Break while they could, the CdM sailing team attended the Pacific Coast Championships (PCC’s). This annual regatta took place in San Diego, California, and was hosted by the Mission Bay Yacht Club. The races officially started on Saturday, April 13th. However, the CdM team drove down on the Friday before to practice and get a feel for the unfamiliar venue.

Saturday morning, the team woke up bright and early to get to the yacht club before all of the other teams. The team really went above and beyond with the preparations for the race. They even went so far as to flip all the boats they were going to sail and scrub the bottoms clean so the boats glide through the water better.

After check-in, boat inspections, and the skippers’ meeting, the teams were finally allowed to launch their boats and get out on the water. The first race started right at 11:30 for both of the gold and silver fleets.

The CdM team entered three teams total: one in the gold fleet and two in the silver fleet. The gold fleet’s course was to the left of the yacht club, right next to a large cove. Because of the large cove, the wind was consistent throughout both days. On the other hand, the silver fleet course was positioned more in front of the yacht club to the right of the gold course. The orientation caused the wind to be extremely shifty throughout the two days. On both Saturday and Sunday, the wind started out light in the morning and progressively got breezier as the day went on.

The sailing went on until 5:30 on Saturday. Gold fleet got in about four sets of races for both A and B divisions. Silver fleet got in five sets for A and four sets for B division.

After the first day of racing, the CdM sailors had a team bonding dinner at Miguel’s Cocina. Connor Chung, a freshman on the team, commented on the experience, “It was super fun to hang out with everyone at dinner. I know that I get to see them every week for practice, but it was cool to see everyone outside of the competitive setting. I got to know everyone and became even closer with my teammates.”

Once dinner was finished, everyone walked back to the hotel together and went to bed early to get a good night’s rest.

The second day started out even earlier than the first day of sailing. The first start was at 11:00 in the morning. Both fleets got in about three more sets each until the races ended and the scores were tallied.

CdM ended up in 3rd place in gold fleet, meaning they are one of the four teams that qualified for nationals! In silver fleet, team one ended up in 7th place, and team two ended up in 19th place. Congratulations to the CdM sailing team on their win and good luck at nationals!