Be True To You

Tara Zadeh, Journalist

Be True to You is one of the four campaigns organized by the Corona del Mar’s Human Relations Council (HRC). Be True to you was held on April 1 through 5, and the primary focus of the campaign was to promote an environment for students to feel comfortable in being themselves. The campaign highlights the various pressures and expectations that are present amongst students, and it acknowledges the difficulties that come with being a student. It represents the various stereotypes that are present in student life.

The campaign began with an introductory video on Monday. On Tuesday, HRC members came to classrooms, in order to describe the purpose of the campaign. The members described the primary aim of the campaign, as well as announced the events that were to take place during the week. Students were also given a sticker. The campaign also included a sweatpants day on Thursday of the week. The day was to encourage the idea of a neutral environment, where students should not have to worry about

This is the first time HRC has presented the Be True to You campaign, and the intention behind the campaign was to increase the importance of instilling the idea of being one’s self, regardless of other factors. Be True to You is HRC’s reminder to the student body that self care is important and necessary. HRC member, Nazli Nazemian shared her opinion on the campaign, and said, “I think this campaign is important because it serves as a reminder that our grades and appearance should not be determined by what others think and we should stay in tune with our own values.”

HRC will be hosting two more campaigns this year in the following months. Be True to You created awareness towards the importance of staying true to one’s values, despite other elements.