Sticks and Stones Lacrosse Tournament

Ivy Hollander, Journalist

Over the weekend of March 15th, many girls lacrosse teams all over Orange County participated in the Sticks and Stones tournament located at Trabuco Hills High School. There were many different divisions depending on the level of the school’s girls lacrosse team. The Corona del Mar High School (CdMHS) Girls Junior Varsity (JV) Lacrosse team was placed in one of the higher divisions of the tournament. The CdM Girls JV team competed in a total of three games. They played very competitively and ended up winning the entire tournament for their league.

The first game was played up against El Dorado High School. CdM quickly got some points when winning the draw multiple times during the game. During the first half, CdM got seven points and El Dorado got one point. During the next half, both teams fought hard and scored many points. The final score of the game was 9 to 2. CdM won their first game of the tournament!

After the first game, the players had about 20 minutes before their next game against Yorba Linda High School. The game started with Jilly Senk taking the draw against the other player. CdM got the first two points when Yorba Linda, unfortunately, scored against the goalie, Ellie Spotts. During the second half, CdM added to the scoreboard and won the game 6 to 5, moving on to the finals.

The final game was against Edison JV, which CdM had previous beaten them, so they somewhat knew how they played. The game started with CdM scoring 3 points and Edison scoring 1 point. At the end of the first half, CdM scored 3 more points.  The final score of the whole game was 7 to 2. The game finished with CdM JV as the champions of the Sticks and Stones Lacrosse Tournament. Jilly Senk got a medal for being the MVP for the tournament and the CdM team was awarded a trophy for winning the tournament for their division.