The Benefits of Used Cars

Kennedey Leehealey, Journalist

When it comes to buying cars, the decision may be a little tricky. Especially at this day and age, there are many options with varying upsides and downsides that a customer must consider before purchasing a vehicle. However, one choice that many people tend to skip over is used cars. While they may not be brand new or have that “new car smell” that is sought after by many, they are still advantageous in many ways.

First of all, buying a used car can save a whole lot of money. According to Rawhide, used cars prices are about 50 percent lower than new car prices on average. The reason behind this is that the value of a new car depreciates as soon as it is bought for the first time. This also means that once a used car is purchased, it can be resold for a price similar to what is was bought for. The same cannot be said for new cars because a huge chunk of the depreciation has already occurred after the first purchase.

Another upside to buying a used car is that the prices are usually pretty straight forward. The majority of new cars are advertised with supposedly great deals, but actually have hidden fees for shipping, or dealer preparation. In addition, used car buyers don’t need to purchase dealership add-ons that can be extremely expensive, and they can install their own for much less.

Many potential buyers of used cars may worry that a used car might be less functional, or worn down. However, these vehicles have to be thoroughly inspected and certified by the manufacturer in order to ensure customers that the vehicle is of high quality.

Previously owned cars are not only a smart choice for the buyer, but also for the environment. It was estimated in Rawhide that approximately a quarter of all the carbon dioxide produced in a car’s life is during the initial manufacturing and shipping. Buying a used car significantly decreases the amount of carbon dioxide released, which helps protect the environment and prevent global warming.

Freshman at CdM, Pierce Hemphill, a self-proclaimed car enthusiast concluded, “I don’t understand why most people go for new cars. Used cars are the obvious choice. They save money, they are better for the environment, and they work just as well as new cars.”