Musician of the Month: Aminè

Sammy Pierotti, Journalist

On the rise musician Amine has just released his music video for the song “Blackjack” off of his new album 1.5. The music video features Amine and his gang dressed up in high school uniforms, they dance and wreak havoc around what appears to be an American Public School. Amine’s mother spoke out about how she approved of the video, saying that “Thank god there’s no naked butts in this one”. His music videos are a variety of colorful scenes that paint a vibrant picture for his listeners. “They really bring his music to life”, says junior Maya Avital.

Amine’s first hit went viral in 2016, when he released his album “Good for You”. The listener first gets a sense of his humor when they look at the cover of the album, which features Amine sitting on the toilet reading a newspaper with a bright yellow background. Other hits off of Good for You include Spice Girl and Veggies. His music ranges from fun and upbeat music to sing in the car with friends to deeper, more emotional songs. Good for You was only a preview of what Aminé had to offer, but it got listeners hooked on his voice and music.

The release of 1.5 allowed the rapper to gain traction with his career. This sophomore album features many hits, REEL IT IN being the most popular, and shows further depth in his musical talents. He talks about serious issues in DR. WHOEVER, mentioning suicidal thoughts and the stigma about mental health in the black community. He also has more upbeat songs, like CANTU, a song that explains why he hates people asking to touch his hair. BLACKJACK was inspired by Jack Black himself. Amine looks up to Jack Black and thinks that he is a positive, hilarious role model.