S&D 2020 Project

Tara Zadeh, Journalist

The Speech and Debate team has begun a speaking event amongst its members, in which members from groups that represent one potential presidential candidate for the 2020 election. Because February is a month that is generally calm in terms of competition preparations, it is the ideal time to involve a distinct form of debating, which differs from Junior State of America and Model United Nations techniques. The 2020 project also allows members to become more aware of the political stances of many possible presidential candidates.

The 2020 project will last approximately four weeks across the Tuesday night meetings that occur every week. During each meeting, a distinct style of debate will be used. The types of debate include Public Forum, Rap Battle Debate, and Town Hall Debate. Public Forum is a rebuttal based debate that is comprised of two separate teams. Both teams try to represent their argument to the question that drives the debate. Public Forum is made up of opening speeches, crossfires, rebuttals, and closing speeches. The question used for the 2020 project was “Resolved, which candidate is most qualified for the presidency.” Rap Battle Debate is a debate style in which students use solely rap or slam poetry to make their argument. Rap Battle Debate allows for a different and more engaging take on a regular debate. Town Hall Debate allows for more active and argumentative debate, in which the audience plays an active role.

The 2020 project will continue for the next three speech and debate meetings. Throughout each meeting and round of the 2020 project scores are given to each candidate and group, and those scores will be added once each round of the competition has been completed. The candidate who has presented the most effective arguments and professional presentation will be awarded.