BOTB Bors Varsity Soccer Game

Tara Afshar, Journalist

On January 30th, Corona Del Mar’s Boys Varsity Soccer Team played against Newport Harbor in a Battle of the Bay game that wrapped up the entire season. The Seakings started strong in the first half, they played energetically, aggressively, and enthusiastically. They quickly score their first goal after a Senior known as Matt Katz (#18), takes a shot after a one vs one, between him and Newport Harbors goalie. Junior goalie Wally Korbler saved a lot of close goals after the team accidently over extended and gave an opportunity. Thankfully, Korbler and the defense quickly cleaned up the mess and pressed on. Towards the end of the first half, Newport Harbor’s goalie made a quick save and punted the ball to his forwards, who wasted no time to take the opportunity to make a shot.

During halftime two Freshman students at Corona Del Mar made a few comments on how they enjoyed the games. Micaela Saber said, “I like going to games because I get to hang out with my friends, and we all get really into it. I love it when our team scores, I always have a good time!” On the other hand, Pierce Hemphill stated that, “Battle of the Bay events are always fun because there are always large spirited crowds cheering for their school, plus it’s always entertaining when rivals face”.

Corona Del Mar’s spirited crowds delivered, even if the second half the game started to slow down, the stands still kept up the encouragement with chanting and shouting. Senior Grant Glessing also made a few saves, one being a header that shut down a possible shot at the goal for Harbor. While most players on both teams started to slow down from the physical exertion, Glessing kept up his aggressive play style as a defensive player and acted as an important part of the team. As the game came to a close, most students left, but both teams decided on playing overtime in order to break the tie. While the game still ended in a tie, it’s clear that both the support of the stands and the soccer team both had a blast.